A Chicago man was indicted Thursday after federal prosecutors said newly released video showed him allegedly using an SUV to ram an Immigration and Customs Enforcement officer’s pickup truck during an immigration enforcement operation on Chicago’s Southwest Side, as reported by Fox News.

Diego Emmanuel Reyes, 21, was indicted by a federal grand jury on charges of assaulting, impeding, intimidating and interfering with a federal agent. If convicted, Reyes faces up to 20 years in federal prison.

Federal authorities said the alleged incident happened Oct. 4, 2025, during “Operation Midway Blitz,” an immigration enforcement operation in Chicago.

According to the indictment, Reyes intentionally slammed his SUV into the rear of an ICE agent’s white pickup truck while the officer was carrying out official duties. Prosecutors said the newly released video shows the SUV striking the ICE vehicle during the operation.

Here's What They're Not Telling You About Your Retirement

After the initial crash, prosecutors alleged Reyes accelerated forward and aggressively pushed the agent’s truck with his SUV.

WATCH:

The indictment includes an enhanced penalty tied to the alleged use of a deadly or dangerous weapon, identified by prosecutors as the SUV. That enhancement raises the maximum possible sentence to 20 years in federal prison.

Federal officials condemned the alleged assault and said attacks or interference targeting law enforcement officers during lawful operations would not be tolerated.

This Could Be the Most Important Video Gun Owners Watch All Year

Following ongoing debates over border security and immigration policy in 2026, do you support stricter enforcement measures?

By completing the poll, you agree to receive emails from LifeZette, occasional offers from our partners and that you've read and agree to our privacy policy and legal statement.

“What this defendant did ... was a dangerous and brazen act of violence against a federal agent as well as an attack on the rule of law,” U.S. Attorney Andrew Boutros wrote in a statement.

“The Chicago U.S. Attorney’s Office will never tolerate such conduct and will continue to hold accountable those who seek to assault, impede, intimidate, or interfere with lawful federal operations.”

Douglas DePodesta, special agent-in-charge of the FBI's Chicago Field Office, also said federal authorities would pursue accountability in cases involving interference with officers.

“The Chicago Field Office has zero tolerance for anyone impeding federal officers engaged in their lawful functions,” DePodesta said.

DePodesta said the FBI would use all available resources against those who undermine the rule of law.

The indictment comes as federal immigration operations in Chicago have drawn clashes involving protesters, U.S. Border Patrol, and other federal agents.

Images from Chicago showed protesters confronting federal law enforcement amid the Trump administration’s “Operation Midway Blitz” immigration enforcement surge.

The Department of Homeland Security has also said ICE officers have faced a sharp increase in assaults during operations. DHS previously reported a 500% increase in assaults against ICE officers during enforcement activity.

Federal agents made multiple detainments in a far north side Chicago neighborhood as part of the Trump administration’s immigration enforcement push. The Oct. 4 incident on Chicago’s Southwest Side is now part of a federal criminal case against Reyes.

An arraignment date in Chicago federal court has not yet been set.

Warning: Account balances and purchasing power no longer tell the same story. Know in 2 minutes if your retirement is working for you.

The opinions expressed by contributors and/or content partners are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of LifeZette. Contact us for guidelines on submitting your own commentary.