“Some people did something” on 9/11, said Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) at a speaking engagement in late March before the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR).
And ever since, she’s not only gotten pushback for dismissing the terror attacks on America on Sept. 11, 2001, that killed nearly 3,000 people, she’s attracted comments from all across the political spectrum.
Now, on said Sunday night, Omar lamented that she’s received a flurry of death threats ever since President Donald Trump tweeted a video that combined her comments from that speaking engagement with a clip that showed Ground Zero in Manhattan.
“I have experienced an increase in direct threats on my life — many directly referencing or replying to the president’s video,” Omar tweeted in a statement.
“I thank the Capitol Police, the FBI, the House Sergeant at Arms, and the speaker of the House for their attention to these threats.”
Omar also said, “Violent crimes and other acts of hate by right-wing extremists and white nationalists are on the rise in this country and around the world. We can no longer ignore that they are being encouraged by the occupant of the highest office in the land.”
What she and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) are blatantly ignoring, however, are Omar’s original comments that started this incident — and the way she has conducted herself in many speeches ever since her election last year as a member of Congress from Minnesota in the 2018 midterms.
WE WILL NEVER FORGET! pic.twitter.com/VxrGFRFeJM
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 12, 2019
“Shouldn’t she be a little more careful with her own tone?” said Ed Henry of Fox News recently in an interview with Hassan Shibly, head of Florida’s CAIR chapter.
Pelosi over the weekend insisted the president take down his tweet containing the video.
Other Democrats as well went after Trump for his social media message.
The White House explained on Sunday that the president had a duty to point out Omar’s pattern of making comments that other Americans find offensive — and that in no way did the president wish any “ill will” on Omar.
“The president is not trying to incite violence against anybody,” White House press secretary Sarah Sanders told anchor Chris Wallace of “Fox News Sunday.” “He’s actually speaking out against it. The question is, why isn’t the congresswoman — why is she brushing this off dismissively? She continues to make anti-Semitic comments over and over again, and Democrats refuse to call her out for it. If she continues to do it, the president will continue to call her out, call her out by name, and he’s not going to be ashamed, nor should he be.”
“The only shame I see in this is that Democrats and others aren’t standing up and taking the same hard line that the president is,” Sanders added. “That was one of the most horrific moments in American history, and for her to talk about it in such a dismissive way is frankly disgusting and abhorrent, and I’m glad the president is calling her out and holding her accountable for it.”
One reader summed up the thoughts of many others who shared their comments on this story over the weekend.
“Perhaps Omar should have given some thought to the 3,000 lives lost and the thousands and thousands of family members affected by this tragedy — of EVERY background and status. She seems to be only concerned with Muslims,” the reader wrote — adding, “Pelosi is a disgrace!”
Share your own thoughts on this issue below.