A reboot of “Magnum P.I.” is on the way — and original star Tom Selleck apparently approves.
“I know [executive producer] Peter [Lenkov] has talked to him [Selleck], and the conversation went well, and he gave us his blessing,” new star Jay Hernandez (shown above right, with Selleck) told the press at the 2018 Television Critics Association’s Summer Press Tour in Beverly Hills, California, over the weekend.
“Magnum P.I.” follows the adventures of a private investigator in Hawaii.
The original series ran for 162 episodes (eight seasons) and made a star out of Selleck. The new series stars Hernandez, premieres this fall — and is unfortunately missing the original famous mustache sported by its star.
“He was great [Selleck]. I mean, I’ve talked to him a few times since then, but when we were pitching the show, we went to him first to get his blessing,” said executive producer Lenkov about Selleck’s blessing.
It’s no surprise Selleck gave his approval to the new show: He stars in a program on the same network, “Blue Bloods,” which has run for eight seasons on CBS and has a ninth season on the way.
The new “Magnum P.I.” debuts September 24.
The original series ended in 1988. There’s no word yet on whether Selleck will ever appear in the rebooted show, but since he’s on the same network, it’s a possibility fans can get excited about, certainly.
While it’s highly unlikely he could reprise his original character, there’s always a chance he could guest-star, at least, to show fans officially he approves of the new iteration of his character.