Entertainment

After Peter Fonda’s Threats Against Trump Family, Secret Service Gets Involved

Melania Trump won't sit still for such disgusting remarks; 'Easy Rider' actor has a history of calling for violence against women and children

Many celebrities have said some pretty extreme things about America’s immigration laws — specifically, the family separation policy that President Donald Trump is ending with an executive order on Wednesday afternoon — but so far no one has gone as far as “Easy Rider” star Peter Fonda.

The actor called for the kidnapping of Trump’s youngest son, 12-year-old Barron. As if that weren’t enough, Fonda said to “put him in a cage with pedophiles.”

Fonda’s full and despicable tweet read: “WE SHOULD RIP BARRON TRUMP FROM HIS MOTHER’S ARMS AND PUT HIM IN A CAGE WITH PEDOPHILES AND SEE IF MOTHER WILL WILL [sic] STAND UP AGAINST THE GIANT A****** SHE IS MARRIED TO. 90 MILLION PEOPLE IN THE STREETS ON THE SAME WEEKEND IN THE COUNTRY. F***.”

What a mature way to make a political point.

In light of the president’s signing of an executive order on Wednesday afternoon, ending the separation of illegal immigrant families who are trying to enter this country, Fonda looks even more foolish and outlandish — and now, after tremendous backlash, he’s apologized.

But shortly after he issued his foolish tweet and threat, the office of first lady Melania Trump reportedly informed the Secret Service of Fonda’s insane Twitter meltdown.

“The tweet is sick and irresponsible and USSS has been notified,” Stephanie Grisham, spokesperson for the first lady, told The Daily Caller.

This is not the first time Fonda (the younger brother of Jane Fonda) has called for violence against someone on Twitter. He previously said Homeland Security Secretary “Kristjen Nielsen is a lying gash that should be put in a cage and poked at by passersby.” He’s also said some nasty things about White House press secretary Sarah Sanders.

These disgusting words have no place in public discourse — but what makes Fonda look the most foolish is Trump’s comments today about his executive order and his eagerness to fix the issues at the border while also keeping America safe.

Unfortunately, people like Fonda are not interested in conversations. They are more interested in calling for violence against women and children.

In his apology Wednesday afternoon, Fonda told USA Today in a statement, “I tweeted something highly inappropriate and vulgar about the president and his family in response to the devastating images I was seeing on television. Like many Americans, I am very impassioned and distraught over the situation with children separated from their families at the border, but I went way too far. It was wrong and I should not have done it. I immediately regretted it and sincerely apologize to the family for what I said and any hurt my words have caused.”

This article has been updated to reflect the latest developments. 

PopZette editor Zachary Leeman can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter.

Join the Discussion

COMMENTS POLICY: We have no tolerance for messages of violence, racism, vulgarity, obscenity or other such discourteous behavior. Thank you for contributing to a respectful and useful online dialogue.