Politics

Refugee Order Halted, White House Promises Swift Action

Federal judge with activist past blocks officials from implementing executive order

The White House pledged to defend President Donald Trump’s “lawful and appropriate” travel ban executive order Friday night and repeal a Washington state judge’s decision to halt the order.

U.S. District Court Judge James Robart granted Washington Attorney General Bob Ferguson’s request to overturn Trump’s executive order issued last week that temporarily banned entry to the U.S. from seven terrorism-compromised countries. After prohibiting federal officials from executing Trump’s order “on a nationwide basis,” Robart’s ruling forced the White House to take swift action.

“The president’s order is intended to protect the homeland and he has the constitutional authority and responsibility to protect the American people.”

MORE NEWS: December 1, 2021

“At the earliest possible time, the Department of Justice intends to file an emergency stay of this order and defend the executive order of the president, which we believe is lawful and appropriate,” the statement from White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer read. “The president’s order is intended to protect the homeland and he has the constitutional authority and responsibility to protect the American people.”

Robart, who reports Saturday indicate has a past history of liberal action on immigration-related issues, refused to accept the Justice Department attorneys’ arguments outlining Trump’s constitutional authority to issue such an executive order.

In August of 2016 Robart said “Black Lives Matter” from the bench reading a decision against the Seattle police union.

Are you embarrassed that Joe Biden is our "president"?

By completing the poll, you agree to receive emails from LifeZette, occasional offers from our partners and that you've read and agree to our privacy policy and legal statement.

“The Constitution prevailed today,” Ferguson said in news conference after the ruling. “No one is above the law — not even the president.”

Agreeing that the president must operate under the law, the White House once again reaffirmed the president’s commitment to utilizing the national security powers granted to him by law.

“As the law states, ‘Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate,'” Spicer’s statement read.

Ever since Trump signed the order temporarily banning citizens from the seven Muslim-majority nations, the mainstream media and liberal politicians vehemently decried the move and erroneously dubbed it a “Muslim ban” — despite the fact that the president’s executive order excluded 46 other Muslim-majority countries from the travel ban.

[lz_related_box id=”278862″]

“It is an insult and a danger to all of the people of the state of Washington, of all faiths,” Democratic Washington Gov. Jay Inslee told reporters earlier in the week, according to Reuters.

Because the liberals and media have refused to accept the national security concerns behind Trump’s executive order, the president himself took to Twitter Saturday morning to defend the constitutionality of his travel ban while blasting the “so-called judge” for succumbing to the hysteria and outrage.

“When a country is no longer able to say who can, and who cannot , come in & out, especially for reasons of safety &.security – big trouble!” Trump tweeted. “Interesting that certain Middle-Eastern countries agree with the ban. They know if certain people are allowed in it’s death & destruction! … The opinion of this so-called judge, which essentially takes law-enforcement away from our country, is ridiculous and will be overturned!”

[lz_third_party align=center includes=”https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/827864176043376640″]

[lz_third_party align=center includes=”https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/827865957750161408″]

[lz_third_party align=center includes=”https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/827867311054974976″]

The Department of Homeland Security issued a memorandum to officials informing them to abide by the judge’s ruling and not implement the effected portions of the executive order, according to ABC News.

Join the Discussion

Comments are currently closed.