As states have already started to debated the issue of abortion and if they will ban it or not, liberal activists and Democrats continue to protest and bombard the internet with opinions about the importance of abortion. While criticizing both Republicans and conservatives, Hollywood actors and directors have also weighed in, showing support for the protests and backlash. Among the numerous Hollywood supporters was none other than filmmaker Michael Moore. Not only focusing on abortion, but the filmmaker suggested giving up his U.S. citizenship as it was “privilege”.
On July 4th, while most Americans celebrated, Moore declared, “I cannot in good conscience continue to receive the privileges of ‘full citizenship’ in this land when all of its women and girls have now been, by Court decree, declared official second-class citizens with no rights to their own bodies and conscripted to a life of Forced Birth should they fall pregnant and not want to be.” He added, “Until women’s rights have been fully reinstated, and their equal rights are enshrined in our Constitution (now that the required 38 states have passed the Equal Rights Amendment), I will not shut up about this. If you invite me to dinner that’s all I’m gonna talk about. Have me over to your party and it’s going to be, ‘Dobbs, Dobbs, and more Dobbs!’ And I won’t stop until Roe is reinstated and 51% of Congress is female.”
Although the topic of abortion surrounds females and what rights they have to their body, even women couldn’t understand the stance taken by Moore as they wrote:
- “The arrogance of this festering boil is stunning. Line anyone cares what he does.
- “Don’t let the door hit you in the ass.”
- “Cannot accept full citizenship privileges? What the hell does that even mean? Was he being forced to accept them before? Which ones specifically? I read the article and still have no idea what the hell he’s talking about.”
Other comments, from both genders, included:
- “You would think that someone who’s made millions living in America would be a little grateful, but true to his liberal nature he hates far more than he has gratitude for. Just one look and you see he hates himself, his appearance, combs, but he’s grateful for cheeseburgers. “
- “All these people renouncing or saying they can’t accept their u.s citizenship, yet they never leave. Why is that? It’s because America is hands down the best. Not perfect but the best..”