Weeks after the streaming service CNN+ imploded miserably, the former Fox News host Chris Wallace has found out where he’s headed next.
The New York Post reported that starting in the fall, Wallace will be hosting his own weekly primetime show that will air as part of CNN’s Sunday night lineup. This was confirmed by network executives at Warner Bros. Discovery’s upfront presentation on Wednesday.
Wallace’s show will also be airing on HBO Max streaming service, and it will be called “Who’s Talking to Chris Wallace?,” which is the same title his CNN+ show had.
“’Who’s Talking?’ is a rare show built for streaming that gives newsmakers the opportunity to have candid conversations and an open dialogue about the issues of the day and whatever is on their minds,” Wallace said.
“I’ve never had more fun developing a program and am looking forward to bringing it to both HBO Max and CNN audiences,” he added.
CNN Worldwide CEO Chris Licht was quick to praise Wallace in a statement of his own.
“Part of the CNN brand is respectful, authentic and impactful interviews and one of the best interviewers in the business is Chris Wallace,” Licht said.
“Chris and his team developed an engaging and compelling program that we’re excited to bring to HBO Max and include in our CNN Sunday evening programming,” he continued.
After a nearly 20 year career on Fox, Wallace abruptly left the network back in December to sign with CNN to serve as one of its streaming service’s headlining stars. CNN+ premiered earlier this year, but ceased operations just about one month later due to abysmal results with subscribers.
When asked last month about the situation, Wallace said that he was “going to be fine,” but added that he was not sure about his own future, saying that he was in “good shape, whether it’s at CNN or someplace else.”
“Frankly, what I’m mostly concerned about right now — and very — is my team and hundreds of other people,” Wallace said at the time, referring to the roughly 300 junior CNN+ staffers who were laid off after the failure of CNN+.
Insiders have complained that CNN “overspent on talent” on CNN+, citing Wallace’s $9 million per year deal as an example of this. Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav has also said that the network plans to move back towards straightforward journalism rather than opinionated programs.
MORE NEWS: Howard Stern Says He’s Running For President
“At a time where most news networks are advocacy networks, we at CNN intend to advocate for journalism first,” Zaslav said on Wednesday.
It’ll be interesting to see if CNN actually follows through with that. What a change that would be!
This piece originally appeared in RobManess.com and is used by permission.
The opinions expressed by contributors and/or content partners are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of LifeZette.