UVALDE, TX – The Uvalde School District in Texas announced an active shooter situation taking place Tuesday early afternoon at Robb Elementary school.
The suspect was taken into custody by local authorities just after 1:00pm.
Just after 12:00pm on social media, the Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District said, “There is an active shooter at Robb Elementary. Law enforcement is on site. Your cooperation is needed at this time by not visiting the campus. As soon as more information is gathered it will be shared.”
MORE NEWS: Two Voices On The Biden Economy
Originally, Robb Elementary and all other schools in the district had been placed on lockdown due to gunshots near the elementary school. The threat moved to an “active shooter” situation about 30 minutes later.
The district later shared, “Shooter is in police custody.”
Further information such as the number of victims, if any, and suspect information or motive has not been released at the time of this writing.
Staff at the school took the students to nearby Uvalde High School for safety. Parents were asked not to pick up their children at first. “You will be notified to pick up students once all are accounted for,” the district said, adding that the students will be moved to Sgt. Willie Deleon Civic Center, about five minutes from the school.
On Facebook, the district said, “Reunification Site for Robb Students: Robb Elementary students are being transported to the Willie DeLeon Civic Center for reunification. The Civic Center will be under a Secure Status until all students are account for. Parents please do not pick up students at this time. You will be notified to pick up students once all are accounted for.”
Uvalde is located approximately 60 miles east of the southern border with Mexico and about 85 miles west of San Antonio. Its population is just over 15,000 people and the last day of school for the year is this coming Thursday. The population of the school district totals just over 4,000 students.
This comes the day after 11 people were killed and five others injured in a suspected cartel shooting and bombing in Celaya, Mexico. Reportedly, two cartels have been having somewhat of a turf war over the area. Not far from where the attack transpired in Celaya, local authorities discovered a number of plastic bags that were said to have contained the dismembered bodies of three unidentified individuals. Atop the plastic bags that held these human remains was a piece of cardboard with a threatening note reportedly from an unnamed cartel.
The Santa Rosa de Lima Cartel had previously held the territory in the area, but the grasp around Celaya began to wither after the arrest of the cartel’s leader, José Antonio Yépez Ortiz, also known as “El Marro,” back in August of 2020.
This piece was written by Leah Anaya on May 24, 2022. It originally appeared in RedVoiceMedia.com and is used by permission.
The opinions expressed by contributors and/or content partners are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of LifeZette.