Ruth Bader Ginsburg rushed to hospital with ‘possible infection’

Image Credit: Wikimedia Commons, Official SCOTUS portrait

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was reportedly rushed to the hospital on Tuesday “for treatment of a possible infection,” the U.S. Supreme Court confirmed in a statement.

“She underwent an endoscopic procedure at Johns Hopkins this afternoon to clean out a bile duct stent that was placed last August,” the statement said, according to Fox News. “The justice is resting comfortably and will stay in the hospital for a few days to receive intravenous antibiotic treatment.”

The Supreme Court also said that the 87-year-old justice was initially sent to Sibley Memorial Hospital in Washington, D.C. on Monday night after experiencing fever and chills. After this evaluation, Ginsburg was rushed to the hospital in Baltimore today for further treatment.

MORE NEWS: Trump campaign homes in on Basement Biden and is closing gap in polls

This is just the latest in a long line of hospitalizations for Ginsburg, who has previously battled colorectal, pancreatic and lung cancers. Just two months ago, she was hospitalized for an infection that was caused by a gallstone. Back in November, Ginsburg was sent to the same hospital in Baltimore where she is receiving treatment now, at that time for chills and a fever.

Do you agree that protesting is acceptable, but rioting is not?

By completing the poll, you agree to receive emails from LifeZette and that you've read and agree to our privacy policy and legal statement.

President Donald Trump was asked about Ginsburg’s latest hospitalization in a press conference on Tuesday.

“I wish her the best. I hope she’s better. I didn’t hear that, actually. She was just hospitalized? No, that’s too bad,” Trump said, according to CNN. “No, I wish her the best. She’s actually giving me some good rulings.”

MORE NEWS: More details emerge on White House shooting, gunman taken down

Appointed by Bill Clinton back in 1993, Ginsburg is now the oldest justice on the Supreme Court. She is also the second-longest serving justice on the Supreme Court behind Clarence Thomas, who was appointed in 1991 by George H.W. Bush.

This comes weeks after it was revealed that Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts, 65, had been rushed to the hospital last month after suffering a fall at a country club.

“The Chief Justice was treated at a hospital on June 21 for an injury to his forehead sustained in a fall while walking for exercise near his home,” Supreme Court spokeswoman Kathleen Arberg said. “The injury required sutures, and out of an abundance of caution, he stayed in the hospital overnight and was discharged the next morning. His doctors ruled out a seizure. They believe the fall was likely due to light-headedness caused by dehydration.”

Join the Discussion

COMMENTS POLICY: We have no tolerance for messages of violence, racism, vulgarity, obscenity or other such discourteous behavior. Thank you for contributing to a respectful and useful online dialogue.