CNN’s Jim Acosta, once again, has far overstepped his bounds and overreached — and embarrassed himself in the process.
On Tuesday during a press briefing at the White House in the early afternoon, as reporters shouted out questions to both Sec. of State Mike Pompeo and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin in the wake of the resignation of national security adviser John Bolton, the CNN White House correspondent yelled out his question.
“Is this national security team a mess?” Acosta asked, referring to Bolton’s exit.
MORE NEWS: Is America Heading Toward A Civil War?
“Absolutely not. That’s the most ridiculous question I’ve ever heard of,” Mnuchin responded.
“The national security team, which is what you asked, consists of the national security adviser, the secretary of defense, the secretary of state, myself, the chief of staff, and many others,” Mnuchin also said.
When Acosta tried to follow up with another question, Sec. Pompeo quickly changed gears — calling on another correspondent for another question.
Acosta has long expressed a bias against President Donald Trump and members of his administration through his line of questioning and his own words about it.
Bolton, who joined the administration in April 2018, is no longer a member of the administration.
President Trump tweeted on Tuesday morning that he asked Bolton to resign from his post and that Bolton’s services “are no longer needed” by the administration.
“It’s very clear that his [Bolton’s] policies and priorities did not align with President Trump’s,” Hogan Gidley, White House deputy press secretary, said on Fox News earlier on Tuesday.
After John Bolton's firing, CNN's Jim @Acosta asks: "Is this National Security team a mess?" @stevenmnuchin1: "Absolutely not. That’s the most ridiculous question I’ve ever heard." pic.twitter.com/v47bYMd0Pr
— Washington Examiner (@dcexaminer) September 10, 2019
“The president did ask for John Bolton’s resignation, it was delivered today, and we’re in the process” of putting into place a new national security adviser, Gidley also told Fox News’ Harris Faulkner on “Outnumbered Overtime” in an interview.
Last fall, after Acosta’s various outbursts during media events and during one in particular — in which he refused to give up the microphone while verbally attacking the president — the White House tried to strip Acosta of his media pass. But after the network filed suit, that pass was reinstated.
A judge decided the reporter had not been given due process.
Acosta appears to try whenever he can to grandstand — or to attack the administration if he himself is not called on during briefings.
Share your thoughts on this story.