The lead investigator in the Conception boat fire near Santa Cruz, California, expressed concern about the ability of passengers to escape in an emergency after she and her team toured a similar vessel in Santa Barbara Harbor on Wednesday, The Los Angeles Times reported.
— Alys Martinez (@AlysMartinezTV) September 4, 2019
MORE NEWS: Chuck Holton Covers Inauguration Day
National Transportation and Safety Board member Jennifer Homendy told The Times she was “taken aback” by the size of the emergency hatch when she toured the Vision.
Investigators right now are trying to retrieve the 34th and final victim of a disastrous fire aboard the diving boat Conception earlier this week.
They also say it could take up to two years to determine the cause of the fire, Fox News reported on Thursday morning.
When a portion of the mayday call from the Conception was released, a person could be heard on the recording saying, “I can’t breathe,” as CNN and other outlets reported these past few days.
The dispatcher also asked the person on the line the following questions:
- “Can you get back on board and unlock the boat?”
- “There’s no escape hatch for any of the people on board?”
- “You don’t have any firefighter gear at all? No fire extinguishers or anything?”
MORE NEWS: Ep 426 | Inauguration Day
The nation has been gripped all week by this tragedy.
“Our hearts go out to the families of the victims of this terrible tragedy,” Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown said at a press conference on Monday.
Please see the tweets below for more on this horrendous tragedy.
An investigation on land and sea will examine whether the escape of the captain and four crew members from a burning dive boat was their only viable option, an act of cowardice or even a crime. https://t.co/9xRrMGPgRL
— AP West Region (@APWestRegion) September 5, 2019
“She was following her dream. She loved it here. She loved the boat. She loved diving.”
— Blayne Alexander (@ReporterBlayne) September 3, 2019
As families and friends of the 34 victims who died on a diving boat fire near Santa Cruz Island come to mourn, 12-year-old CJ Andelman fills the air with the soothing music of her harp. pic.twitter.com/yAuG1c7Df6
— Steve Kuzj (@SteveKuzj) September 4, 2019
As of Wednesday morning, the remains of 33 victims who were aboard the #Conception have been recovered. A search is underway for the remaining body, according to @USCG officials.https://t.co/z8jfvzOe8j
— LAist (@LAist) September 4, 2019