Image Credit: Screenshot, Real Clear Politics/JIM WATSON/AFP/GettyImages/Screenshot

PopZette

That Was Some ‘Editor’s Note’ on the Covington Controversy Coverage

Washington Post will likely settle, one opinion writer surmises — it knows most juries will give the kids as much as possible

Over a week ago, attorneys representing Nicholas Sandmann, the high school boy in Kentucky (shown above right), announced they were suing The Washington Post for $250 million in compensatory and punitive damages.

If you followed this story, the kid’s lawyers went through a checklist of warnings to liberal media that was highly publicized.

Many media outlets apologized for their comments and statements; they retracted their pieces and are not being sued.

Related: Trump Backs Covington Student in Lawsuit Against Washington Post

The Washington Post has been led down the garden path and now it is time.

Here’s what The Washington Post published just the other day:

A Washington Post article first posted online on January 19 reported on a January 18 incident at the Lincoln Memorial. Subsequent reporting, a student’s statement and additional video allow for a more complete assessment of what occurred, either contradicting or failing to confirm accounts provided in that story — including that Native-American activist Nathan Phillips (shown above left) was prevented by one student from moving on, that his group had been taunted by the students in the lead-up to the encounter, and that the students were trying to instigate a conflict.

The high school student facing Phillips issued a statement contradicting his account; the bishop in Covington, Kentucky, apologized for the statement condemning the students; and an investigation conducted for the Diocese of Covington and Covington Catholic High School found the students’ accounts consistent with videos.

Subsequent Post coverage, including video, reported these developments: “Viral standoff between a tribal elder and a high schooler is more complicated than it first seemed”; “Kentucky bishop apologizes to Covington Catholic students, says he expects their exoneration”; “Investigation finds no evidence of ‘racist or offensive statements’ in Mall incident.

A January 22 correction to the original story reads: Earlier versions of this story incorrectly said that Native-American activist Nathan Phillips fought in the Vietnam War. Phillips said he served in the U.S. Marines but was never deployed to Vietnam. (source: The Washington Post)

The Washington Post will likely settle out of court.

The publication knows any jury outside the Ninth Circuit will throw the book at it and give those kids as much as they possibly can.

The media need to learn a lesson big-time.

Money is their bread and butter — and until something hurts their pockets, they will continue to be irresponsible.

Related: Celebs May Be Sued for Defamation After They Aimed Hate at the Covington Kids

We are all tired of the unethical, inappropriate and unsubstantiated sources and reports that are called news now.

Most journalists (AKA the propaganda machine) are failing to achieve the desired result any more, as the public isn’t agreeing with the media’s view of things — so maybe they need to rethink their brainwashing strategy or get sued.

I hope this goes all the way to the Supreme Court and ends up rewriting libel laws — making it much easier to sue and win libel cases against fear-mongering journalists and media outlets who create the news rather than report it.

And check out this video:

This piece originally appeared in WayneDupree.com and is used by permission.

Read more at WayneDupree.com:
Young Female Student Sues School Over Implementing Genderless Locker Rooms Without Notification
Katie Hopkins: America Needs to WAKE UP to Ilhan Omar
Rep. Omar: Impeachment of Trump Is Inevitable; Nations Struggle When Dictator Is Overthrown

meet the author

Wayne Dupree is owner and founder of WayneDupree.com. He was named to 2017 Newsmax’s 50 Most Influential African-American Republicans. He served in the USAF from 1987-1995; he saw time in Operation Desert Storm/Shield. The father of three, he's the host of "The Wayne Dupree Show."