A Strong America
Trump Backs Covington Student in Lawsuit Against Washington Post
Teen Nick Sandmann of Kentucky found himself at the center of a national dispute for his encounter with a Native-American man
President Donald Trump has put his support behind a high school student who is suing over the media coverage of an encounter with a Native-American man.
Covington Catholic student Nick Sandmann found himself at the center of a national dispute last month when a video seemingly showed him staring down a Native-American man, Nathan Phillips, after the March for Life event in Washington, D.C.
Both the media and many Americans panned the boy — until other videos surfaced showing a different story.
The Washington Post, for its coverage of the situation, has now been sued.
“The Washington Post ignored basic journalistic standards because it wanted to advance its well-known and easily documented biased agenda against President Donald J. Trump,” Trump said in a tweet, quoting from the lawsuit.
He then added, “Covington student suing WAPO. Go get them, Nick. Fake news!”
Sandmann and his lawyer filed the $250 million lawsuit on Tuesday claiming compensatory and punitive damages.
The Washington Post stands accused in the lawsuit of practicing “a modern-day form of McCarthyism” and for using its financial resources to publish false and defamatory print and online articles to smear a kid.
The lawsuit was filed in federal court in Kentucky.
“[We’re] reviewing a copy of the lawsuit, and we plan to mount a vigorous defense,” Washington Post spokesperson Kris Coratti told Fox News in an email.
“The Washington Post ignored basic journalistic standards because it wanted to advance its well-known and easily documented biased agenda against President Donald J. Trump.” Covington student suing WAPO. Go get them Nick. Fake News!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 20, 2019
The lawsuit further argues that the newspaper ignored the truth about the incident and says the paper falsely accused Sandmann of accosting Phillips by suddenly “swarming” him in a threatening and physically intimidating manner.
The lawsuit also claims the paper made it seem as if the teens were engaged in racist and improper conduct without reviewing all the facts.
Sandmann was with a group of fellow students while wearing the red Make America Great Again hat that is associated with Trump supporters.
The students were attending the anti-abortion March for Life in Washington, D.C., the day of the encounter.
Phillips was attending the Indigenous Peoples’ March that same day — and approached the teenagers.
Sandmann and his fellow students were initially accused of starting the confrontation — until other videos and statements from the students showed that they were verbally accosted by a group of black street preachers, who were shouting insults both at them and a group of Native-Americans.
Sandmann and Phillips have both said they were trying to defuse the situation.
Check out this video: