Melania Receives Apology from British Magazine for Inaccuracies
The first lady, unfairly maligned by many, also will receive 'substantial damages as well as legal costs'
First lady Melania Trump has now received an apology from a British magazine — after an article it published last week included several inaccuracies about her personal life and about her family.
American author Nina Burleigh wrote the piece, called “The Mystery of Melania,” for the magazine section of the U.K.’s Telegraph newspaper.
Included were sections that Melania Trump wanted corrected, according to Fox8.com and other sources.
“We apologize unreservedly to the first lady and her family for any embarrassment caused by our publication of these allegations,” said part of the written apology from The Telegraph late Friday.
Mrs. Trump has maintained that she is “one of the most bullied people in the world” — remarks that earned her pushback from some corners. But there is evidence that bears out her comment.
The Telegraph said it had agreed to pay Mrs. Trump “substantial damages as well as her legal costs.”
Melania Trump sought corrections to the story via her attorney, a source told CNN.
“Mrs. Trump often refers to opportunists out to advance themselves by disparaging her name and image,” Stephanie Grisham, Trump’s communications director, said in a statement to CNN.
“She will not sit by as people and media outlets make up lies and false assertions in a race for ratings or to sell tabloid headlines.”
One of the issues the first lady said was wrong was the description of her father, Viktor Knavs, as a menacing figure.
“Mrs. Trump’s father was not a fearsome presence and did not control the family,” said The Telegraph in its retraction.
One wonders how so many falsehoods could be crammed into a single article. Proof, if any were needed, that bias makes journalists reckless. https://t.co/5YHW4HTod3
— Brit Hume (@brithume) January 26, 2019
President Donald Trump himself responded to the tweet above on this issue, sharing in his own tweet this message:
Thank you to Brit. This is a very big deal in Europe. Fake News is the Enemy of the People! https://t.co/WX0o8gaiMC
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 27, 2019
The story is now gone from The Telegraph’s website.
As CNN noted, the article also said she left college in Slovenia after just one year because of an exam.
In actuality, she left because she wanted to pursue a full-time modeling career.
BREAKING: The Telegraph admits it published an article about Melania Trump that "contained a number of false statements which we accept should not have been published."
"We have agreed to pay Mrs. Trump substantial damages as well as her legal costs."https://t.co/35puaDUxzP
— Ryan Saavedra (@RealSaavedra) January 26, 2019
Melania Trump has legally challenged other stories printed about her — and succeeded. She was awarded $2.9 million in 2017 from the U.K.’s Daily Mail after she filed a suit charging the publication made false and defamatory statements about her.
Back in October, Melania Trump said in an interview with ABC’s “Good Morning America” that she was “the most bullied person in the world,” changing that ultimately to “one of the most bullied.”
“I could say I’m the most bullied person [in] the world,” Mrs. Trump said in the interview during her solo trip to Africa in early October, when she was asked what made her interested in the issue of cyberbullying for her Be Best campaign.
“You’re really the most bullied person in the world?” asked ABC News’ Tom Llamas.
“One of them, if you really see what people are saying about me,” she said.
See more about Melania Trump in the video below:
This story has been updated with additional information.