White House Correspondents’ Association Makes Major Announcement
The last host of the dinner, the controversial Michelle Wolf, is unhappy with the reform — and called the group 'cowards'
The White House Correspondents’ Association made an announcement regarding its dinner next year — and a former host, Michelle Wolf, is not happy.
The comedian (pictured above left), who performed at the event back in April, was not pleased to learn the event is taking a new turn.
Next year, the group will not have a comedian as host of the event.
Instead, the group invited historian Ron Chernow, a 2011 Pulitzer Prize-winning biographer who has written about prominent American figures such as George Washington, Alexander Hamilton and John D. Rockefeller.
In response to this announcement, Wolf tweeted, “The @wcha are cowards. The media is complicit. And I could not be prouder.”
— Michelle Wolf (@michelleisawolf) November 19, 2018
Controversy surrounding the former “Daily Show” writer’s performance last time around could be the reason the association may have come up with this new direction.
Wolf viciously attacked White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders last year as she sat right at the dais.
The attacks caused a great deal of controversy and made the event — which President Donald Trump did not attend — look classless. Some people actually walked out early because of Wolf’s comments.
“I actually really like Sarah [Sanders]. I think she’s very resourceful,” Wolf said as host of the event.
“She burns facts and then she uses that ash to create a perfect smoky eye. Like maybe she’s born with it. Maybe it’s lies. It’s probably lies.”
“And I’m never really sure what to call Sarah Huckabee Sanders, you know?” she added.
“Is it Sarah Sanders, is it Sarah Huckabee Sanders, is it Cousin Huckabee, is it Auntie Huckabee Sanders? What’s Uncle Tom but for white women who disappoint other white women? Oh, I know. Ann Coulter.”
After that performance by Wolf, The Hill announced it would not be participating in future dinners unless there were “major reforms” to the event.
The publication’s chairman, James Finkelstein, said that Wolf was “out of line.”
Maggie Haberman of The New York Times also came to Sarah Sanders’ defense, saying it was impressive that she did not get up and walk out on the event — as others did.
That @PressSec sat and absorbed intense criticism of her physical appearance, her job performance, and so forth, instead of walking out, on national television, was impressive.
— Maggie Haberman (@maggieNYT) April 29, 2018
The president of the White House Correspondents’ Association, Margaret Talev, even issued a public statement saying the organization regretted picking Wolf as its host.
“Last night’s program was meant to offer a unifying message about our common commitment to a vigorous and free press while honoring civility, great reporting and scholarship winners, not to divide people,” she wrote.
“Unfortunately, the entertainer’s monologue was not in the spirit of that mission.”
Although President Donald Trump was not in attendance at the event, he noted that Wolf “”bombed” and said he thought Fox News’ Greg Gutfeld should host the event in 2019 instead.
While Washington, Michigan, was a big success, Washington, D.C., just didn’t work. Everyone is talking about the fact that the White House Correspondents Dinner was a very big, boring bust…the so-called comedian really “bombed.” @greggutfeld should host next year! @PeteHegseth
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 29, 2018
The president tweeted about the latest White House Correspondents’ Dinner and Wolf’s reaction on Wednesday night.
“So-called comedian Michelle Wolf bombed so badly last year at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner that this year, for the first time in decades, they will have an author instead of a comedian. Good first step in comeback of a dying evening and tradition! Maybe I will go?” he tweeted.
So-called comedian Michelle Wolf bombed so badly last year at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner that this year, for the first time in decades, they will have an author instead of a comedian. Good first step in comeback of a dying evening and tradition! Maybe I will go?
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 21, 2018
For more on the last White House Correspondents’ Dinner, check out the video below:
Tom Joyce is a freelance writer from the South Shore of Massachusetts. He covers sports, pop culture, and politics and has contributed to The Federalist, Newsday, and other outlets.