Fox News Host Tucker Carlson on the Protesters Who Targeted His Home: ‘It Was a Threat’
'If they’re talking about pipe bombs ... how do you live like that?'
Fox News host Tucker Carlson responded Thursday to the far-Left Antifa protesters who surrounded his home on Wednesday night while his wife was inside and chanted, “We know where you sleep at night.”
“I called my wife,” Carlson (pictured above) told The Washington Post.
“She had been in the kitchen alone getting ready to go to dinner and she heard pounding on the front door and screaming … Someone started throwing himself against the front door and actually cracked the front door.”
“It wasn’t a protest. It was a threat,” Carlson continued. “They were threatening me and my family and telling me to leave my own neighborhood in the city that I grew up in.”
A protester with a bullhorn could be heard saying, “We want you to know, we know where you sleep at night,” before the group as a whole chanted, “Tucker Carlson, we will fight! We know where you sleep at night!”
The bullhorn protester also accused Carlson of “promoting hate” with “an ideology that has led to thousands of people dying.”
None of the couple’s four children was at home of the time of the disturbance; Carlson’s wife, Susie, was alone.
After hearing the protesters outside, she locked herself in the pantry.
Susie Carlson dialed 911, thinking it was a home invasion.
Police responded swiftly to the scene — and Carlson’s brother, who lives close by, arrived at about the same time.
Carlson was preparing for his show at the time of the disturbance.
Carlson, the host of Fox News’ “Tucker Carlson Tonight,” also said that a female protester could be heard on one of his security cameras talking about a pipe bomb.
“How can you go out for dinner and leave the kids at home at this point?” Carlson told The Post.
“If they’re talking about pipe bombs … how do you live like that?”
Smash Racism, D.C., the same group that was behind the protesters that harassed Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and his wife at a restaurant during Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh’s contentious confirmation process, said it was behind the protest at the Carlson residence.
The group’s video of the protest on Twitter has since been deleted — and Twitter suspended the group’s account. A post that has since been removed from Smash Racism, D.C.’s Facebook page read, “Each night you remind us that we are not safe. Tonight, we remind you that you are not safe either.”
The protesters also published Carlson’s home address.
Many prominent social media users across the political spectrum condemned the protesters’ tactics and offered Carlson their support.
“This is awful. Stop targeting people’s homes, their families, and stop substituting violence for dissent,” National Rifle Association (NRA) Spokesperson Dana Loesch tweeted.
This is awful. Stop targeting people’s homes, their families, and stop substituting violence for dissent. https://t.co/KL4hcHihIP
— Dana Loesch (@DLoesch) November 8, 2018
The Post’s Erik Wemple wrote, “I, too, dislike what @tuckercarlson says on television, in books, etc.”
“But this kind of doorstep intimidation is reprehensible,” he added.
“Please respect his family’s domestic life.”
— ErikWemple (@ErikWemple) November 8, 2018
“Fighting Tucker Carlson’s ideas is an American right. Targeting his home and terrorizing his family is an act of monstrous cowardice. Obviously don’t do this, but also, take no pleasure in it happening. Feeding monsters just makes more monsters,” late-night show host and comedian Stephen Colbert tweeted.
Fighting Tucker Carlson’s ideas is an American right. Targeting his home and terrorizing his family is an act of monstrous cowardice. Obviously don’t do this, but also, take no pleasure in it happening. Feeding monsters just makes more monsters.
— Stephen Colbert (@StephenAtHome) November 8, 2018
CNN’s Washington bureau chief Sam Feist tweeted, “What happened at @TuckerCarlson’s house last night is outrageous and should be universally condemned. This is not how Americans should express their differences.”
— Sam Feist (@SamFeistCNN) November 8, 2018
Former Fox News host and outgoing NBC News host Megyn Kelly wrote, “This has to stop. Who are we? What are we becoming? @TuckerCarlson is tough & can handle a lot, but he does not deserve this. His family does not deserve this. It’s stomach-turning.”
This has to stop. Who are we? What are we becoming? @TuckerCarlson is tough & can handle a lot, but he does not deserve this. His family does not deserve this. It’s stomach-turning. https://t.co/5vOmriGKkV
— Megyn Kelly (@megynkelly) November 8, 2018
CNN’s Brian Stelter wrote in his newsletter Wednesday, “You can love or hate Fox’s Tucker Carlson, but we should all be able to see that this protester behavior is wrong.”
Fox News CEO Suzanne Scott and Fox News President Jay Wallace issued a joint statement Thursday condemning the “reprehensible” protest at Carlson’s home.
“The incident that took place at Tucker’s home last night was reprehensible. The violent threats and intimidation tactics toward him and his family are completely unacceptable,” Scott and Wallace said. “We as a nation have become far too intolerant of different points of view.”
“Recent events across our country clearly highlight the need for a more civil, respectful, and inclusive national conversation,” the statement continued. “Those of us in the media and in politics bear a special obligation to all Americans, to find common ground.”
This article has been updated.