Megyn Kelly’s future with NBC is up in the air after she did not host her morning show on Thursday.
She’s reportedly also not returning for a Friday show either.
The Thursday morning absence came after a whirlwind 48 hours for the television host. On Tuesday, Kelly suggested during her show that blackface was not a form of racism. This led to a heavy bit of controversy and blowback on social media.
MORE NEWS: FBI Reputation Shattered By Bad Leadership
Even fellow NBC hosts Al Roker and Craig Melvin were among Kelly’s critics.
“The fact is, while she apologized to the [NBC] staff, she owes a bigger apology to folks of color around the country,” Roker said on Wednesday morning in the hour before Kelly’s program. “This is a history going back to the 1830s minstrel shows to demean and denigrate a race. It wasn’t right.”
Melvin added, “She said something stupid. She said something indefensible … I guess it was an opportunity for us to learn a little bit more about blackface — but I think a lot of people knew about blackface.”
When Kelly’s show began on Wednesday, she kicked things off with an emotional apology.
“I want to begin with two words: I’m sorry. The country feels so divided and I have no wish to add to that pain and offense. I believe this is a time for more understanding, more love, more sensitivity and honor,” she said. “Thank you for listening and for helping me listen, too.”
Kelly later hosted a panel that dove into the negative effects and history of blackface.
“Given the circumstances, ‘Megyn Kelly Today’ will be on tape the rest of the week,” an NBC spokesperson told Fox News on Thursday, following a rerun of Kelly’s show being aired in place of a new episode.
The New York Times reported that NBC News chairman Andy Lack tackled Kelly’s comments in a previously scheduled town hall with the network’s news division on Wednesday.
“There is no other way to put this, but I condemn those remarks … There is no place on our air or in this workplace for them,” he said.
It has also been reported that Kelly parted ways with Creative Arts Agency on Wednesday.
She has now hired Hollywood litigator Bryan Freedman, which could suggest she is preparing for a potential legal battle with NBC, a network that reportedly pays her over $20 million a year.
It would not be a shock to see Kelly’s show axed.
For more on Kelly’s recent controversial comments, check out the video below: