Politics

Three Dead Following Video Game Tournament Shooting in Jacksonville

A recording from the crime scene showed players disconnecting from the Madden NFL contest as at least 12 gunshots rang out

Three people, including the shooter, are dead and 11 are injured as a result of a “mass shooting” at a video game tournament Sunday in downtown Jacksonville, Florida.

The shooter was identified by Jacksonville authorities as 24-year-old David Katz of Baltimore, Maryland. Katz was competing in the tournament, but his motive in firing multiple shots in the crowded bar where the event was being held is not known.

“Multiple fatalities at the scene, many transported,” the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office wrote on Twitter Sunday afternoon.

“We have no outstanding suspects at this time. No outstanding suspects,” Jacksonville Sheriff Mike Williams said at a news conference shortly thereafter.

“We have one suspect in this case. He is deceased at the scene.”

Do you support individual military members being able to opt out of getting the COVID vaccine?

By completing the poll, you agree to receive emails from LifeZette, occasional offers from our partners and that you've read and agree to our privacy policy and legal statement.

Two of the 11 people who were shot have died. The suspect dead at the scene has not yet been identified publicly.

An unnamed witness to the shooting described the shooter as being “in his 30s.”

The shooting occurred downtown at the Jacksonville Landing during a Madden NFL Championship Series video game tournament. A video from the crime scene from about 1:30 p.m. ET showed some of the players disconnecting from the tournament as at least 12 gunshots rang out.

A witness told Fox News that the suspect competed in the tournament and “went crazy and started shooting up the room” after he lost.

Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R), Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) and Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.) all took to Twitter to let their constituents know they had been in touch with law enforcement officials.

“Horrifying news from #Jacksonville this afternoon. Have spoken to local authorities & am still awaiting more information on this shooting. Situation still unfolding, law enforcement is asking everyone to avoid the area. #Sayfie,” Rubio tweeted. “Have confirmed @FBI & @ATFHQ are in contact & in coordination with local authorities to provide any & all federal resources needed to respond to #JacksonvilleLandingShooting.”

“Word of another tragic mass shooting in our state brings shock and outrage. Right now, law enforcement are doing their jobs under horrific circumstances and it’s important that people in the Jacksonville area heed their warnings,” Nelson tweeted.

Sunday’s shooting in Jacksonville occurred more than seven months after a gunman killed 17 victims and wounded 17 others at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.

The Parkland shooting propelled the debate over school safety measures, gun control legislation, and Second Amendment rights to the forefront of national discourse.

Join the Discussion

COMMENTS POLICY: We have no tolerance for messages of violence, racism, vulgarity, obscenity or other such discourteous behavior. Thank you for contributing to a respectful and useful online dialogue.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments