The stories of crimes committed by illegal immigrants in this country are not to believed, in many cases.
Think of the Kate Steinle case, as one among many.
Now, a chainsaw-wielding illegal immigrant allegedly slashed his own wife at their home in Whittier, California, this week — while their three children, ages 10, eight and five, were inside. The man was arrested Thursday for the horrific attack, and it turns out he had been deported 11 times since 2005, immigration officials said.
The wife is recovering at a hospital, officials said, and is expected to survive.
Alejandro Alvarez-Villegas, age 32, is what’s known as a “serial immigration violator.” As Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) spokeswoman Lori Haley said in a statement, “Department of Homeland Security databases indicate Mr. Alvarez-Villegas is a serial immigration violator who has been removed from the United States 11 times since 2005.”
Immigration officials have lodged a detainer against him, as several outlets, including Fox News, noted.
The man was arrested in Chula Vista, a suburb of San Diego. It’s notable that in May of this year, the San Diego City Council voted during a closed session to join an amicus brief cities and counties are preparing to support California’s so-called sanctuary state law — in the face of a Trump administration lawsuit against it.
“When officers arrived [at the Whittier, California, home] they found a female adult suffering from traumatic physical injuries, believed to have been inflicted by a chainsaw,” police said on Facebook about the alleged crime Alvarez-Villegas committed.
The man fled the scene in a stolen car but was picked up the next day, officials said. Alvarez-Villegas allegedly tried to ram a police car, but officers were able to arrest him without injuries, Chula Vista Police Lt. Kenny Heinz said, as NBC 7 reported.
The suspect is likely to be charged with attempted murder, child endangerment, hit and run, and grand theft auto, police said Thursday.
The records on file for this individual indicate he had a criminal history prior to this arrest.
The records on file for this man indicate he had a criminal history prior to this arrest. In 2013, he was charged with one count of unlawful possession of a controlled substance, along with one count of using or being under the influence of a controlled substance.
He pleaded no contest to those charges, the Los Angeles Times reported. He also pleaded no contest to driving under the influence.
“Depending on criminal history, someone in the country illegally who re-enters the U.S. after having been previously removed has committed a felony punishable by up to 20 years in federal prison, according to ICE,” the publication noted.
Reports noted that the couple’s three children have been placed in protective custody.