“I’ve lost everything, and I regretted it before I lost everything,” Roseanne Barr said in her first interview since being fired from her top-rated sitcom for what was deemed by many to be a racist tweet.
“I was impaired, you know,” she said about the late-night tweet.
In the original tweet, Barr said Jarrett was a cross between the “Muslim brotherhood and ‘Planet of the Apes.'” Barr revealed in the interview, though, that she was not even aware Jarrett was an African-American when she originally sent out the tweet. She said she “mistakenly thought [Jarrett] was white.”
She added she would “never would have wittingly called any black person a monkey.”
Barr’s “Roseanne” sitcom returned to television earlier this year and earned smash ratings. It was later swiftly canceled by ABC after Barr’s controversial tweet — for which she immediately apologized.
ABC has now announced it’s bringing back the “Roseanne” brand with “The Conners” in the fall, a show that will feature the entire “Roseanne” cast except for Barr herself. The Trump-supporting comedian will reportedly have no creative or financial involvement.
“I said to God, ‘I am willing to accept whatever consequences this brings because I know I’ve done wrong. I’m going to accept what the consequences are,’ and I do, and I have,” Barr said. “But they don’t ever stop. They don’t accept my apology, or explanation. And I’ve made myself a hate magnet. And as a Jew, it’s just horrible. It’s horrible.”
The comedian continued, “But I have to face that it hurt people. When you hurt people even unwillingly, there’s no excuse. I don’t want to run off and blather on with excuses. But I apologize to anyone who thought, or felt offended, and who thought that I meant something that I, in fact, did not mean. It was my own ignorance, and there’s no excuse for that ignorance.”
Barr’s original tweet is obviously inexcusable, and that’s something she clearly acknowledges, but the consequences she’s faced show the blatant bias of Hollywood. Barr immediately apologized for her tweet, but her sitcom was still canceled. The program she created is now even being brought back without her — and that is something she’s accepted with grace.
Now let’s take a look at a Hollywood leftist who has also said horrible things but faced no professional consequences. How about Barr’s ex-husband, Tom Arnold? The anti-Trump comedian has a history of misogynistic comments against conservative women and even recently threatened to show up at Barron Trump’s school. His punishment? He has an upcoming anti-Trump TV show, and he recently appeared on CNN in a cringe-worthy interview that somehow managed to further embarrass the network.
tom arnold just appeared on CNN and it was a train wreck pic.twitter.com/f7NGNGejIs
— Aidan McLaughlin (@aidnmclaughlin) June 22, 2018
MORE NEWS: Judge Says Feds Must Follow Constitution
Think it’s a coincidence Barr is an open Trump supporter and Arnold is a committed leftist?
(photo credit, homepage and article images: ABC)