PopZette

Kevin Sorbo Responds to Comic Convention Promoter Who ‘Banned’ Him

Exclusive: Conservative star of 'Hercules' and 'Let There Be Light' shares thoughts about latest 'attention' he's been getting

Comic conventions appeared to be one of the few nonpolitical venues left today.

All over the country, people generally attend these events to celebrate their love of various forms of art — movies, television, comics and more. They can spot Trump-hater and “Sons of Anarchy” star Ron Perlman as quickly as they can former Superman and open conservative Dean Cain.

[lz_ndn video=33169320]

Now, however, one convention promoter has done his best to turn things political by sending out a Facebook post, which instantly went viral.

“I turned down Kevin Sorbo for East Coast Comicon. He’s pals with Sean Hannity. I just can’t do it,” promoter Chris Gailbraith wrote.

Could it be that yet another corner of the entertainment world is infected now with political polarization — and conservative artists have even more bias to deal with on top what they already must handle in Hollywood?

Kevin Sorbo doesn’t think so. “I thought this [the Facebook post] was pretty funny. I laughed,” the “Hercules” and “Andromeda” star told LifeZette in an exclusive interview on the topic. He added about facing political bias at fan conventions, “This is a first for me.”

The actor said politics is rarely a subject that’s brought up at cons and when it is, the conversations are civil. “I don’t get mad at people who have a different opinion than I do,” the conservative filmmaker said.

Related: Exclusive: An Actor’s Inside Look at the Military Drama ’12 Strong’

He continued, “To me, it’s like, what a smart move. I was never even invited [to the convention]. My agent never went there. I went online and it’s a very small con, so he [Gailbraith] was trying to drum up interest in his con and himself. I appreciate it and I applaud his entrepreneurial spirit, especially for a guy who is a socialist.”

Though he was never invited to the actual convention, Sorbo said it’s not a surprise to see a liberal person judge him based solely on his conservative views. It’s all part of a cultural polarization in the country that seems to be never-ending.

“The Left is so angry about the election still, over a year later,” said Sorbo.

The actor is not letting any of it slow him down or intrude on his work, however. He’s as busy as ever. His current projects include the next “Left Behind” movie — which he revealed he is starring in as well as directing.

As for whether his professional relationship with Hannity will continue (the Fox News host produced last year’s hit “Let There Be Light,” which Sorbo directed), the “Hercules” star said he is hopeful a new collaboration will happen soon.

Said Sorbo, “We’re certainly going to keep Sean in the loop for future projects.”

Sorbo’s “Let There Be Light” will hit home video on February 27. Order it now on Amazon or learn more about the film.

PopZette editor Zachary Leeman can be reached at [email protected].

(photo credit, homepage and article image: Kevin Sorbo [1], [2], CC BY-SA 2.0, by Gage Skidmore)

meet the author

PopZette editor Zachary Leeman can be reached at [email protected].