Entertainment

Angelina Jolie Cries Fake News Against Child Casting Claims

'I would be outraged myself if this had happened,' said the actress about the charges leveled at her

Angelina Jolie fought back at claims her casting process for children was cruel and exploitative.

An excerpt from a Vanity Fair profile of the director sparked backlash online earlier this week from people who criticized her alleged child-casting methods for her film, “First They Killed My Father.”

Adapted from Loung Ung’s memoir, the biographical drama centers on her childhood under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime in Cambodia. Jolie co-wrote and directed the film, which she talked about in a recent Vanity Fair profile.

[lz_ndn video=32764971]

The article described a scene in which casting directors, in their attempt to find a child actress to play the lead role, presented money to impoverished children — only to take it away from them as an acting exercise.

Jolie and producer Rithy Panh issued joint statements Sunday responding to the outrage and refuting claims that the production was exploitative through a representative from Netflix, which is producing and distributing the film.

Do you support individual military members being able to opt out of getting the COVID vaccine?

By completing the poll, you agree to receive emails from LifeZette, occasional offers from our partners and that you've read and agree to our privacy policy and legal statement.

“I am upset that a pretend exercise in an improvisation, from an actual scene in the film, has been written about as if it was a real scenario. The suggestion that real money was taken from a child during an audition is false and upsetting,” Jolie said. “I would be outraged myself if this had happened.”

Jolie said parents, guardians and doctors were on set daily to care for the children and “make sure that no one was in any way hurt by participating in the recreation of such a painful part of their country’s history.”

Panh, who himself is a survivor of the Khmer Rouge, added that casting “was done in the most sensitive way possible.”

He described a process that was informed both by families’ preferences and NGO (non-governmental organization) guidelines in which the children understood that they would be acting out a scene.

Related: J.K. Rowling Spreads Fake News About Trump

“The children were not tricked or entrapped, as some have suggested,” Panh said. “They understood very well that this was acting and make-believe.”

The Vanity Fair article went into more detail about the production than the one paragraph that circulated on Twitter, which sparked the initial outrage.

Related: Michael Moore Obsessed with Trump: More Proof

A representative from Vanity Fair issued a statement Sunday, saying author Evgenia Peretz “clearly describes what happened during the casting process as a ‘game'” and “that the filmmakers went to extraordinary lengths to be sensitive in addressing the psychological stresses on the cast and crew that were inevitable in making a movie about the genocide carried out in Cambodia by the Khmer Rouge.”

Jolie’s film will debut on Netflix sometime after showing at the Toronto International Film Festival this September.

This Fox News article is used by permission.

Read more at Fox News:
Rob Lowe, Believer of Big Foot, Now Talks to Ghosts
Dog the Bounty Hunter Joins Fight Against Bail Reform
HBO Hacked, ‘Game of Thrones’ Script Possibly Leaked

(photo credit, article image: DFID, Flickr)

Join the Discussion

Comments are currently closed.