Family

Utah Toddler Saves Brother After Dresser Crushes Him

One more example of the deadly risk in many American households

Parents of small children should stop whatever they are doing and make sure all household furniture with the slightest risk of toppling is bolted securely to the wall. Falling furniture is a deadly risk that can be averted with just a few minutes’ effort — keeping active little ones safe.

[lz_ndn video=31809481]

IKEA had to recall at least 20 million dressers and chests at risk of tipping over in 2015. The retail giant recently settled three wrongful death lawsuits out of court after three children died of their injuries from accidents with toppling furniture.

Two Orem, Utah, parents know this now, through terrifying personal experience. They are giving thanks after a surveillance camera in their twins’ bedroom revealed a horrifying accident — and a miraculous rescue of one toddler by his brother.

Last week, two-year-old twins Bowdy and Brock Shoff were playing in their bedroom and climbed onto the open drawers of the dresser — causing it to tip over on them both. Bowdy was able to crawl out from under the dresser, but brother Brock was trapped.

13321805_10157052121670360_3161612216279117559_n
The Shoffs with their children (photo: Facebook)

The boys’ mom, Kaylie Shoff, told Salt Lake City television station KSL she and her husband Ricky Shoff never heard the dresser in the boys’ room fall. When they woke up, they saw the dresser had tipped over, but also saw the boys playing contentedly together.

Do you support individual military members being able to opt out of getting the COVID vaccine?

By completing the poll, you agree to receive emails from LifeZette, occasional offers from our partners and that you've read and agree to our privacy policy and legal statement.

A subsequent review of the video from their boys’ bedroom video camera showed the terrifying accident — and how Bowdy worked to save his brother.

Related: Topple Hazards Cause Grave Injury, Death

“So he just pushed with all of his might and it just pushed it right off his brother,” Kayli Shoff told station KSL. “I really believe in the twin bond. You always hear that. And I really think these two have it.”

The Shoffs made one simple change that they hope everyone with young children will make, too.

“Please make sure all your dressers are bolted and secured to the wall,” Ricky Shoff wrote in a Jan. 1 Facebook post.

[lz_third_party align=center includes=”https://www.facebook.com/ricky.shoff.5/posts/10158089688210360″]

“I’ve been a little hesitant to post this,” he began his post. “But I feel it’s not only to bring awareness, but it is also incredible. We are so grateful for the bond that these twin brothers share.”

Predictable social media backlash ensued via Facebook regarding the accident — some parents are only too happy to judge other parents, even when they are offering a helpful warning based on their own kids’ experience.

“I’m glad the boys are safe but this sickens me that the little boy was lying there in pain and had to rely on his sibling to help him because the parents weren’t there to protect & help him!” wrote one commenter. “I understand that things can happen really quickly and no one is perfect but you are bound to have heard that cupboard crashing down and your little boy screaming?! What were you doing when this happened?”

And another suspected nefarious motives for the video, posting, “Why is the dresser empty? You can see there is nothing in the drawers. Twin clothes should be almost over flowing. Plus when it fell you could tell by the force of the fall it was empty. An adult would have a hard time moving it if it was full let alone a 2 year old. Seems to me a dad risking the health of his children trying to go viral.”

The grateful Shoffs, however, feel their family experienced a true miracle. “We know Bowdy was not alone in moving the dresser [off his brother],” Shoff wrote in his post. “And feel blessed that he is OK.”

Join the Discussion

Comments are currently closed.