Could O.J. Simpson Be a Free Man This Year?
Here's what you need to know about the parole hearing this week of the notorious football star
Orenthal James Simpson — commonly referred to as O.J. — could be a free man as early as October.
The notorious football star has a July 20 parole hearing that could result in his release from a Nevada prison as early as Oct. 1, according to state parole officials.
Simpson, 69, was found guilty in 2008 of armed robbery, kidnapping, and other charges stemming from a confrontation with sports memorabilia dealers in a Las Vegas casino hotel room. The altercation occurred in September 2007.
Simpson has already served eight years of his nine- to 33-year sentence.
What was he sentenced for? Simpson was convicted in 2008 of kidnapping and armed robbery, along with 10 other charges. Prosecutors said the Hall of Famer, along with five other men, stormed into a hotel room and took memorabilia such as game balls, photos, and plaques.
Four co-defendants pleaded guilty before the trial to felony charges and testified for the prosecution. Two told jurors they brought and displayed guns, although Simpson insisted he never knew anyone was armed.
Simpson's defense argued that the incident was not an actual robbery but an attempt by Simpson to retrieve his own items, which had been previously stolen.
But prosecutors said Simpson still took the items from the hotel room by force.
"When they went into that room and forced the victims to the far side of the room, pulling out guns and yelling, 'Don't let anybody out of here,' six very large people detaining these two victims in the room with the intent to take property through force or violence from them, that's kidnapping," prosecutor David Roger said at the time.
At the time of the trial, the Associated Press reported that Simpson expected the outcome of the trial. In an interview before his sentencing, Simpson said he was "afraid that I won't get to go to my kids' college graduations after I managed to get them through college."
What about his ex-wife's murder? Simpson was acquitted in the murders of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend, Ronald Goldman, exactly 13 years prior to the 2008 verdict.
In what was one of the most watched and controversial cases on race and domestic abuse, Simpson stood trial in 1995 after his ex-wife and her friend were found stabbed to death outside of her condominium — with her two children asleep inside the home.
Simpson's journey to court wasn't easy. After refusing to turn himself into police, Simpson led law enforcement officials on a now-infamous car chase throughout Los Angeles. Video of his white Bronco escaping police on Los Angeles' freeways was broadcast worldwide.
The chase eventually ended when Simpson surrendered.
On Oct., 3, 1995, a jury found Simpson not guilty of the murders after only three hours of deliberations, The New York Times reported at the time.
The jury was composed of 10 women and two men. Nine of the jurors were black, two were white, and one was Hispanic.
Simpson and his ex-wife had divorced in 1992 after nine years of marriage, according to The Times. Simpson was fined $700 and ordered to perform community service in 1989 after he pleaded no contest to charges that he beat Nicole Brown Simpson, The Times reported at the time of her death.
In 1997, a jury awarded Goldman's family an $8.5 million judgment against Simpson for the young man's wrongful death. (go to page 2 to continue reading)